Re: [GENERAL] Hardware optimising

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mike Mascari <mascarim(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Hardware optimising
Date: 1999-08-27 02:06:12
Lists: pgsql-general

> P.S. From previous posts, I'm starting to think that
> there is a VAST misconception that a single-threaded
> database engine (which is what Oracle was until some
> version 7 releases, I believe, called Oracle MTS
> appeared) can only handle ONE query at a time, and
> does
> not exec() a child process for each connection.
> Someone ought to start the propoganda of claiming
> multi-threaded DBMS as "single process" servers.

Yes, I am totally unsure how this gets confused by people. I am going
to put it int the FAQ.

Yes, and I agree that most multi-threaded DBMS are "single process",
which can't make use if multiple cpus, except on some very special OS's
that allow threads to move between cpus, sometimes called kernel
threads, I think, but I am not sure on that.