Re: [BUGS] date -> text convertion error

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere(at)hungry(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] date -> text convertion error
Date: 1999-08-20 17:12:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Note the time of day. This is evidently a timezone-related bug.

You almost make sense, but the real problem here is that the date is
converted to date + clock 0 when casted to datetime. A more
reasonable way to do it would be converting it to date + clock 12:00.
Then one would avoid the whole problem.

> My guess is that you inserted the data on a system that didn't know
> that 1965-04-24 was a daylight-savings day, and are reading it on a
> system that does (or vice versa?).

It is inserted and read on the same system. It is crasy that
converting to text and back gives different result:

pere=> select fname from user_appl where birthdate != birthdate::text::date;
fname
-----
Antal
(1 row)

pere=>

GNU libc seems to have zoneinfo for Norway back to before 1916, so I
don't think your guess is correct.
--
##> Petter Reinholdtsen <## | pere(at)td(dot)org(dot)uit(dot)no
O- <SCRIPT Language="Javascript">window.close()</SCRIPT>