Re: [PORTS] HP-UX port

From: Michael J Schout <mschout(at)mail(dot)gkg-com(dot)com>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, wieck(at)debis(dot)com
Subject: Re: [PORTS] HP-UX port
Date: 1999-07-29 20:20:09
Lists: pgsql-ports

> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> > We should be shipping the postgres source tar files with flex/bison
> > already run on the parsing files. It sounds like at least one slipped
> > through the cracks. Tom, is this up your alley?
>
> It looks to me like he tried to build with the system yacc/lex.
>
> We already knew that HP's lex just Won't Work in HPUX 9 and 10
> (doc/FAQ_HPUX points this out), and it seems HPUX 11 is no better.
> No big surprise though, since a lot of vendor lexes seem to fail.

This is true. I first tried with the vendor supplied lex, which failed.

> > I ran the regression tests and the bench tests (WISC). Some
> > regression tests failed, but that is to be expected I supposed.
>
> The "failures" enumerated in FAQ_HPUX are to be expected. Did you
> see any others? (I can send you a copy of what I consider the normal
> regression diffs on HPUX 9/10; it'd be interesting to see if 11 is any
> different...)

I found the HPUX faq after I posted the message. The only different
failure I saw was that the random regression failed. All of the others are
listed int eh FAQ. Here are the failures I got:

# grep failed regress.out
int2 .. failed
int4 .. failed
float8 .. failed
geometry .. failed
horology .. failed
random .. failed

# diff results/random.out expected/random.out
22,23c22
< 123
< (1 row)
---
> (0 rows)

The expected part shows:
QUERY: SELECT random FROM RANDOM_TBL
WHERE random NOT BETWEEN 80 AND 120;
random
------
(0 rows)

and the actual results are:
QUERY: SELECT random FROM RANDOM_TBL
WHERE random NOT BETWEEN 80 AND 120;
random
------
123
(1 row)

Which looks like a genuine bug to me :).

> > However, when I ran the bench tests. only queries 1-15 run. After that,
> > postgresql dies with a FATAL error due to a stuck spinlock:
> >
> > FATAL: s_lock(400c122c) at bufmgr.c:665, stuck spinlock. Aborting.
> >
> > If anyone wants more information on this bug let me know and I will see
> > what I can do :).
>
> This appears to be worth digging into. I've been running Postgres for
> quite some time on HPUX 9 and 10 and not seen any such problem.
>
> BTW, are you building in a 32- or 64-bit environment? We are gradually
> flushing 64-bit-long portability bugs out of the code, but I am sure
> some remain. Check the pgsql mailing list archives for discussions
> mentioning Alpha platforms to see what's been found before.

I am on a V2250 machine which is a 16 cpu PA-RISC 2.0 environment. Which is
a pure 64 bit environment. HP-UX will no longer support 32 bit environments
beginning with 11.01. Interestingly, this bug is not 100% repeatable.
When I run the test, about half otf the time the bug happens. The other
half, the test runs to completion.

Ill scan the alpha discussions and see if I can dig into this over the next
few days :). Maybe this is an excuse to try to get my hands dirty with the
source ;).

Regards,
Mike