Re: [HACKERS] New version number 6.6 or 7.0

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] New version number 6.6 or 7.0
Date: 1999-07-19 14:35:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > We've been making pretty steady progress over the last few releases.
> > I'd suggest that a bump to 7.0 should happen when we've accumulated
> > most of the fixes/improvements from the "hot list". We've worked
> > through most of those; here are the ones I'd like to see at or before
> > a 7.0 release:
> >
> > o implement outer joins
> > o merge date/time types and deprecate the old 4-byte ones
>
> My opinion is that MVCC should have jump'd us to 7.0 in the first
> place...
>
> IMHO, release for October should be v7.0 ... if the above two get done,
> great, if not, no probs...

Due to overwhelming agreement, it is 6.6. I personally vote for 7.0,
and so do you, but we are outnumbered. We can revisit this as the
release gets closer, but to change it then, I am going to have to change
PG_VERSION, and that will require initdb for everyone. Perhaps just
before we enter beta, we can discuss it, knowing then what our features
will be.