user defined function speeds

From: "tjk(at)tksoft(dot)com" <tk(at)uno(dot)tksoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: user defined function speeds
Date: 1999-07-16 22:24:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

> > Good plan. Although you could sort by a user-defined function result,
> > it's likely to be horribly slow (because user-defined functions are
> > slow:-().

What is the actual overhead from using a userdefined
function (a C function, say)?

Obviously there is an overhead involved in calling
any function. I would like to know what kind of issues
are involved when using results of a user defined function for
sorting.

Are the results calculated only once, as one would expect,
for example.

Thanks,

Troy

Troy Korjuslommi Tksoft OY, Inc.
tjk(at)tksoft(dot)com Software Development
Open Source Solutions
Hosting Services