Re: [INTERFACES] Secure or encrypted way to connect to Postgres?

From: Colin McCormack <colin(at)field(dot)medicine(dot)adelaide(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: Nigel Tamplin <adt09(at)dial(dot)pipex(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Secure or encrypted way to connect to Postgres?
Date: 1999-06-16 00:14:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I was thinking about this, and found an innovative potential solution in
fetchmail (of all places.)

sshd will redirect connections. fetchmail has a facility permitting it to
connect to sshd on the remote machine, then redirect that connection to the
POP or IMAP port on that machine. So you have to be able to ssh in, and then
your connection en clar only travels on the server machine.

You also get gzip compression of the stream for free (with ssh.)

I think the openSSL people have some similar kinds of facilities, called
ssltunnel or something.

I recommend you consider this kind of approach, as it's minimally
interventionist, uses existing code, and very strong crypto.

Colin