Port Bug Report: Error when using row-level locking from PL

From: Unprivileged user <nobody>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Port Bug Report: Error when using row-level locking from PL
Date: 1999-06-11 15:09:55
Lists: pgsql-ports

POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name : Adriaan Joubert
Your email address : a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com

Category : runtime: back-end
Severity : serious

System Configuration
--------------------
Operating System : Alpha DU 4.0D

PostgreSQL version : 6.5

Compiler used : cc

Hardware:
---------
DEC 8200

Versions of other tools:
------------------------

Problem Description:
--------------------
I have a PL function that does various things to various tables and needs to lock some rows in one of the tables. But when I add 'FOR UPDATE OF <table>' to the SELECT statement, I get the error

ERROR: query didn't return correct # of attributes for *internal*

Test Case:
----------
create table a (a int4);
insert into a values (3);
CREATE FUNCTION a_test () RETURNS bool AS
'
DECLARE
mya INT4;
BEGIN
SELECT a INTO mya FROM a;
return true;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
CREATE FUNCTION b_test () RETURNS bool AS
'
DECLARE
mya INT4;
BEGIN
SELECT a INTO mya FROM a FOR UPDATE OF a;
return true;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

select a_test();