Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

From: Peter Galbavy <Peter(dot)Galbavy(at)knowledge(dot)com>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>, ZEUGSWETTER Andreas IZ5 <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "'kar(at)webline(dot)dk'" <kar(at)webline(dot)dk>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items
Date: 1999-06-08 18:16:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 07:32:41AM -0700, Don Baccus wrote:
> I don't mean to this group, or any of the postgres groups,
> I mean to the world at large, in which Postgres has a very
> negative image for web work. Consistent dumps, killing
> of one very bad memory leak (and a bunch of not-so-bad
> ones), and moving to mvcc from table-locking - these are
> three huge improvements for people building web sites.
> Folks outside the normal Postgres community deserve to
> know this.

I have to agree with Don, and maybe try to offer an additional couple
of notes. I think, and this is only me - not supported by any facts,
that it would be useful having a highlights section in the release
notes, since the efforts of the developers (of which I hope to be able
to contribute too soon) make sure that each release results in *many*
updates. I would propose classifying these updates into a number of
categories, that would help users identify is (a) it is worth them
updgrading and (maybe more important) (b) if it is worth them trying
to use PGSQL now that "XYZ" has been fixed/implemented.

A quick suggested list:

1. New features
2. Major Performance Updates
3. Major Bug Fixes
4. Security / Reliability Changes
5. Other

Listing updates simple in reverse time order is too confusing.

BTW If no one has time, I will volunteer to do this...

just my $.04c (inflation)
--
Peter Galbavy
Knowledge Matters Ltd