Re: [HACKERS] postgresql bug report (fwd)

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Jack Howarth <howarth(at)nitro(dot)med(dot)uc(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] postgresql bug report (fwd)
Date: 1999-05-15 00:54:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Marc,
> In porting the RedHat 6.0 srpm set for a linuxppc release we
> believe a bug has been identified in
> the postgresql source for 6.5-0.beta1. Our development tools are as
> follows...
>
> glibc 2.1.1 pre 2
> linux 2.2.6
> egcs 1.1.2
> the latest binutils snapshot
>
> The bug that we see is that when egcs compiles postgresql at -O1 or
> higher (-O0 is fine),
> postgresql creates incorrectly formed databases such that when the user
> does a destroydb
> the database can not be destroyed. Franz Sirl has identified the problem
> as follows...
[snip]

I've been using PosgreSQL and LinuxPPC for a longtime, and never seen
these kind of problems (I have a serious problem with 2.1.xxx kernels
whenever I try to run PostgreSQL, but this is a different story,
anyway).

I have a standard installation using the R4.2 CD from LinuxPPC org.

kernel 2.1.24
glibc-0.961212-1h
gcc version egcs-2.90.25 980302 (egcs-1.0.2 prerelease)
binutils-2.9.1-1a

However your explnation sounds reasonable, I will look into to see why
my system seems to have no problem.
---
Tatsuo Ishii