Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list

From: Christopher Masto <chris(at)netmonger(dot)net>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list
Date: 1999-05-11 18:44:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 02:28:44PM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > This is definitely a "must fix" item for 6.5, IMHO...
> >
> > Yes. It shows we are getting bigger. Most/all? of my commerical
> > database clients don't have 2-gig tables.
>
> I'm not sure what is involved in fixing this, but...>2gig tables, in the
> past, were iffy to start with. if we can fix before v6.5, fine...if not,
> my opinion is that isn't a release stopper. Or, rather...is it something
> that, other then in testing, has affected anyone?

Hrm.. I've been hanging around on the postgres lists for six months or
so, but I admit, other than a couple of toy projects, I haven't really
done much.

However.. recently I have gotten involved in a project that
is.. well.. huge. And it involves databases in a big way. I'd love
to be able to use Postgres. I'd love to be able to say at the end
that _______ (very very large and well-known organization) uses, and
in fact depends on, FreeBSD, Apache, Perl, and Postgres. We're a bit
concerned, though, since the databases will be a _lot_ bigger than
2GB. Part of the reason for using free software is that if it does
blow up, we can help fix it.

Anyway, I guess my point is that there is some incentive here for
having a postgres that is completely non-iffy when it comes to >2GB
databases. Shortly we will be filling the system with test data and I
will be glad to help out as much as possible (which may not be much in
the way of code, as I've got my hands rather full right now).
--
Christopher Masto Senior Network Monkey NetMonger Communications
chris(at)netmonger(dot)net info(at)netmonger(dot)net http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/