Re: [GENERAL] psql segmentation fault

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Bogus User" <bogus_user(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] psql segmentation fault
Date: 1999-05-02 06:44:46
Lists: pgsql-general

"Bogus User" wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm running Debian Linux 2.1 and I downloaded and installed
>Postgresql v6.5beta1. I went through the steps in the INSTALL
>file and everything seemed ok. I can start the postmaster, but
>when I try to run psql I get a segmentation fault.
>
>The exact output from psql is:
>
>$ psql
>Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor:
>Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
>[PostgreSQL 6.5.0 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.6]
>
> type \? for help on slash commands
> type \q to quit
> type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>You are currently connected to the database: postgres
>
>Segmentation fault
>$

Use gdb to find out where it is failing:

$ gdb psql
When it segfaults, use `bt' to print the backtrace.

One difference between the Debian package and standard psql is that
the Debian package will automatically connect you to template1 if you
don't specify a database; this may have a bearing on your problem.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver