Port Bug Report: no indexing allowed on int8 type

From: Unprivileged user <nobody>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Port Bug Report: no indexing allowed on int8 type
Date: 1999-03-23 18:13:50
Lists: pgsql-ports

POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name : Bob Prowel
Your email address : rprowel(at)uswest(dot)com

Category : runtime: back-end: SQL
Severity : non-critical

System Configuration
--------------------
Operating System : Linux 2.2.2

PostgreSQL version : 6.4.2

Compiler used : gcc 2.8.2

Hardware:
---------
Pentium 90 PCI, 32MB, SCSI/IDE

Versions of other tools:
------------------------
GNU tools supplied with Redhat Linux

Problem Description:
--------------------
create table users (uid int8 primary key, cuid varchar(16),
user_name varchar(50));

generates error similar to
"unknown default operator for type 20"

failed table create also tricks psql into believing that the
table was created even though it doesn't show up in the
\dt list. Must exit psql and reenter to clear the
condition.

When I change the uid int8 to an int4 the error goes away.
This makes me question whether the long integer type was
fully implemented in the SQL engine.

Test Case:
see above

Solution:
---------
Guessing here: Check implementation of int8 type and make
sure it has all needed operations properly defined???
-- my dimes worth (inflation ya know)