trouble running "intdb"

From: ming lap chow <mlchow(at)lbl(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: mlchow(at)lbl(dot)gov
Subject: trouble running "intdb"
Date: 1999-03-10 02:02:40
Lists: pgsql-ports

Dear Postgres: I have downloaded a binary distribution of PostgreSQL 6.4.2 from
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/bindist6.4.2/ and the file name is
PostgreSQL-6.4.2-Solaris_7_sparc.gz. I followed the installation instruction as
described in README.Solaris (see attachment to this e-mail). The installation
was "successful" until I began to run the initdb command: (under csh)

initdb --pglib=/usr/local/pgsql/lib --pgdata=/usr/local/pgsql/data

it complaint:

ld.so.1: pg_id: fatal: libncurses.so.4: open failed: No such file or directory
Unable to determine a valid username. If you are running
initdb without an explicit username specified, then there
may be a problem with finding the Postgres shared library
and/or the pg_id utility.

I then tried:

initdb -u SUPERUSER --pglib=/usr/local/pgsql/lib --pgdata=/usr/local/pgsql/data

The result was the same. I am wondering what was wrong. I even created a
directory "data" and chown to pgsql. The result was still the same. Why is life
so difficult? Would you please tell me what to do?
Thank you.
-- Ming Chow

Attachment Content-Type Size
README.Solaris text/plain 1.0 KB