Re: [INTERFACES] Bug in sortin routine?

From: Ulf Mehlig <umehlig(at)uni-bremen(dot)de>
To: eg(at)tzv(dot)fal(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Bug in sortin routine?
Date: 1999-03-09 08:38:58
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Eilert Groeneveld <eg(at)tzv(dot)fal(dot)de> wrote:

> [...] It seems that the sorting order on dates is incorrect under
> certain circumstances: [...] set DateStyle to 'German'; (does not
> have an effect on the problem) [...]

>From the examples you gave it appears that you are still using
American date format (YYYY-MM-DD); if that is true, the lines are
ordered as they should be. If some of the date values appear to be
"correct" after manual/visual control and others not, you maybe have
inserted some of the values with American, others with German format
in use, resulting in a messed up table (and you'll have to fix it by
hand). Are you sure you've really set DateStyle correctly? I have
something like

PGDATESTYLE=German
export PGDATESTYLE

in my shell's .bashrc, and selecting some date values from one of my
tables gives e.g.

datum
----------
16.08.1996
17.08.1996
18.08.1996
19.08.1996
20.08.1996

that is, DD.MM.YYYY (for testing, dates with 'day' after the 12th of
the month are better suited than the others ;-). If you set
PGDATESTYLE like I did, are you sure the configuration file got
source'd? You can test the state of DateStyle with

xxx=> show datestyle;
NOTICE: DateStyle is German with European conventions
SHOW VARIABLE

from inside psql.

Hope it helps ...
viele Gre,
Ulf

Ulf Mehlig <umehlig(at)zmt(dot)uni-bremen(dot)de>
Center for Tropical Marine Ecology/ZMT, Bremen, Germany