Re: OUTER joins

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu (Thomas G(dot) Lockhart)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: OUTER joins
Date: 1999-03-07 03:25:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> (back from a short vacation...)
>
> > How do you propose doing outer joins in non-mergejoin situations?
> > Mergejoins can only be used currently in equal joins.
>
> Hadn't thought about it, other than figuring that implementing the
> equi-join first was a good start. There is a class of outer join syntax
> (the USING clause) which is implicitly an equi-join...

Not that easy. You don't automatically get a mergejoin from an
equijoin. I will have to force outer's to be either mergejoins, or
inners of non-merge joins. Can you add code to non-merge joins in the
executor to throw out a null row if it does not find an inner match for
the outer row, and I will handle the optimizer so it doesn't throw a
non-conforming plan to the executor.