Re: [GENERAL] Postgres Future: Postgres on Digital Alpha

From: Rodney McDuff <ccmcduff(at)its(dot)uq(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Postgres Future: Postgres on Digital Alpha
Date: 1999-02-23 00:42:27
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi Adriaan
I've recently compiled postgresql 6.4.2 of a dec alpha (running DU4.0D)
I set the follow environment variables
setenv CC cc
setenv CFLAGS "-O4 -std"
setenv CPPFLAGS "-I/usr/local/include"
setenv LDFLAGS "-L/usr/local/lib"
setenv LIBS ""

created a Makefile.custom in the source directory with contents
CUSTOM_COPT= -O4 -std

Add the following to Makefile.shlib (you may hae to change a few things here)
ifeq ($(PORTNAME), alpha)
install-shlib-dep := install-shlib
shlib := lib$(NAME)$(DLSUFFIX)
LDFLAGS_SL := -shared -msym -s -rpath /usr/local/pgsql/lib -check_registry
/usr/shlib/so_locations -check_registry /usr/local/lib/so_location
-update_registry /usr/local/lib/so_locations
endif

and ran
./configure --with-template=alpha

If you want the plpgsql stuff then go into src/pl/plpgsql/src and relink
libplpgsql.so without the "-L../../../interfaces/libpq -lpq"

The reression tests in src/test/regress mostly work. Below is a summary of
this with my own annotation as to why some of the failure were ok. (I'll also
attach the regression.diff file if anyone want to know)

boolean .. ok
char .. ok
name .. ok
varchar .. ok
text .. ok
strings .. ok
int2 .. failed ok (diff error message)
int4 .. failed ok (diff error message)
int8 .. failed failed (failed big time:)
oid .. ok
float4 .. ok
float8 .. failed ok (diff error message)
numerology .. ok
point .. ok
lseg .. ok
box .. ok
path .. ok
polygon .. ok
circle .. ok
geometry .. failed ok (precision is last digits in some results)
timespan .. ok
datetime .. ok
reltime .. ok
abstime .. failed ok (diff timezone to expected)
tinterval .. failed ok (diff timezone to expected)
horology .. failed ok (diff timezone to expected)
inet .. failed failed
comments .. ok
opr_sanity .. failed ok (added soundex module before test)
create_function_1 .. ok
create_type .. ok
create_table .. ok
create_function_2 .. ok
constraints .. ok
triggers .. ok
copy .. ok
create_misc .. ok
create_aggregate .. ok
create_operator .. ok
create_view .. ok
create_index .. ok
sanity_check .. ok
errors .. ok
select .. ok
select_into .. ok
select_distinct .. ok
select_distinct_on .. ok
select_implicit .. ok
select_having .. ok
subselect .. ok
union .. ok
aggregates .. ok
transactions .. ok
random .. failed ok (this always fails)
portals .. ok
misc .. ok
arrays .. ok
btree_index .. ok
hash_index .. ok
select_views .. ok
alter_table .. ok
portals_p2 .. ok
rules .. ok
install_plpgsql .. failed ok (added plpgsql module before test)
plpgsql .. ok

The only problem I have with 6.4.2 is getting kerberos 4 authentification
working and getting the perl DBI module to link with the kerberized libpq.so.

Anyway I hope this helps

Attachment Content-Type Size
regression.diffs.gz application/x-gzip 6.4 KB