Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?

From: Sascha Schumann <sas(at)schell(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?
Date: 1999-02-08 00:15:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 05:51:08PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> > Don't remember what's all fixed between v6.4.2 and now.
> > Does anyone else know about bugs that are still in the REL6_4
> > branch and could be fixed without adding features?
>
> I just checked in the ". conftest.sh" -> ". ./conftest.sh" fix to
> configure, which several people have complained of (6.4.2 fails
> if "." is not in your PATH at configure time).
>
> We have to be pretty careful with these back-rev patches, since they
> typically aren't going to get much testing in the back version's
> CVS tree. So I'm leery of applying anything that hasn't been tested
> for a while in the development branch.
>
> For example, the patch I just applied to CURRENT to link libpgtcl.so
> with -lcrypt perhaps ought to go into REL6_4 --- but I'm afraid to do
> that until we verify that it works on a variety of platforms. It fixes
> things on teo's Linux box but I worry that it might actually break things
> elsewhere.

Just a short note:

-lcrypt is available on glibc 2 systems only.

And yes please release a 6.4.3. As a administrator of some sites which rely on
PostgreSQL heavily I would never use a zero-numbered version. The risk is just
too high and too unforseeable.

An example: Before 6.4, we used a table called "user" without any problems.
Unfortunately, this was not possible in 6.4.x, because it became a reserved
keyword there. Having one release together with maintenance updates minimizes
the risk of getting features you don't want.

--

Regards,

Sascha Schumann |
Consultant | finger sas(at)schell(dot)de