Port Bug Report: postmaster hangs after 'portscan' from a mac

From: Unprivileged user <nobody>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Port Bug Report: postmaster hangs after 'portscan' from a mac
Date: 1999-02-02 12:02:14
Lists: pgsql-ports
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name		: Georg Ritter
Your email address	: georg(dot)ritter(at)uibk(dot)ac(dot)at

Category		: runtime: back-end
Severity		: non-critical

System Configuration
--------------------
  Operating System   : linux

  PostgreSQL version : 6.4.2

  Compiler used      : gcc

Hardware:
---------
Redhat 5.2, PII-400, 128MB, 20GB

Versions of other tools:
------------------------

Problem Description:
--------------------
the postmaster service hangs after I do a portscan (from a
mac with AGNETtools).
AGNET tools says 'unkown service on port 5000' (which is my
postmaster port).
I understand that you perhapse "should not" scan the postmaster
port.  But it seems that I could also "crash" someone's
postmaster (what certainly would not be nice).

Test Case:
----------
use AGNetTool's portscan util (http://www.aggroup.com)
enter the IP of the postmaster running server
et voila.

Solution:
---------
Perhapse there exists a protokoll for "portscans", bescause
the other services on the server like telnet aso. where liste very
exaktly (version numbers...) and one only need to add a
right reaction to the portscan query.

pgsql-ports by date

Next:From: Michael BlausteinDate: 1999-02-03 16:12:56