Re: [HACKERS] Bug or feature? COPY ignores column defaults

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>
Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Bug or feature? COPY ignores column defaults
Date: 1999-01-28 15:07:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vadim Mikheev wrote:
>Oliver Elphick wrote:
>>
>> At release 6.4.2, COPY does not respect column defaults:
>>
>> INSERT works correctly, however.
>>
>> Is this intentional, or a bug?
>
>This is standard behaviour. DEFAULT value is substituted
>only if column value (including NULL) is not specified in
>INSERT statement.

Well, isn't that the case here?

junk=> copy testbed from stdin;
Enter info followed by a newline
End with a backslash and a period on a line by itself.

>> \.

I haven't specified \N; there is no value at all for the column, so
surely the default should be used?

If that is not the case, I will add an explanation to the documentation for
COPY.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver