Re: [HACKERS] ecpg docs

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael(dot)Meskes(at)usa(dot)net (Michael Meskes)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] ecpg docs
Date: 1999-01-21 19:02:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I just checked the ecpg docs. There are ecpg.1 and ecpg.sgml, a man page and
> a converted texinfo file. I remember Tom saying something like the manpages
> shall be computed from the sgml source. Is this correct?

I am wondering myself. Thomas, where are we on this? Can we convert
the html to man pages, or doesn't that work. Fortunately, we have not
been making many man pages changes lately, so it has not been an issue.

> If so I wonder how it should work. The ecpg.sgml file contains totally
> different stuff than the man page.

I rememeber someone updating only one of the files.

You actually did it:

> On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 05:11:04AM +0000, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> > Michael, the ecpg author, contributed ecpg.sgml several months ago. I
>
> I thought you did transform it to sgml.
>
> > would think that he was just reconciling the information in the man page
> > with the existing sgml-based information, but don't know that for sure.
> > Michael?
>
> My problem is that I do not speak sgml. Therefore I only updated the man
> page from Tom Good's version but not the sgml part. Is there a tool I
> could
> use to transform it? I try to remember that the next time and will only
> update the sgml file which should be much easier than trasnforming the
> current man page.
>
> Michael

So the sgml has to be reconverted from the ecpg man page.