binding columns to memory locations

From: joel reed <joelreed(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: binding columns to memory locations
Date: 1998-12-22 14:37:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

i've looked for quite some time now through header files, documention,
and pgsql mailing lists for an answer to the following question (which
i hope is not some kind of FAQ)...

is it possible to bind the columns of a SELECT result set to memory
locations in my C/C++ program so that upon execution of a FETCH NEXT
these memory locations will hold the resultant data of the next row in
the result set?

if the answer is NO or NOT YET, is this in the realmn of possibility?
(i'm thinking i'd try my hand at adding this capibility if this is
reasonable given pgsql's architecture)

finally, is anyone else working on a patch related to this?

thanks for you time & help,
jwr

joelreed(at)nospam(dot)ddiworld(dot)com