left outer join

From: Marcus Mascari <mascarim(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: left outer join
Date: 1998-12-02 00:50:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Does anyone know the status of outer join
with respect to PostgreSQL 6.4?

I'm in dire need of just LEFT OUTER JOIN
as I need to report which records approx 30,000
per day, no longer exist, which are new, and
which have been updated. The three ways I know
of simulating the affects are too slow:

1. use a UNION clause with NOT IN
2. create a function() to return the missing
field, else NULL
- or -

3. Programmatically determine if the record
does not exist for each record in
question.

If anyone knows the status of outer join queries,
please let me know.

Thanks,

Marcus Mascari (mascarim(at)yahoo(dot)com)