Re: [GENERAL] equivalent of sqlload?

From: "Michael A(dot) Koerber" <mak(at)ll(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
Cc: John Holland <jholland(at)isr(dot)umd(dot)edu>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] equivalent of sqlload?
Date: 1998-11-25 19:01:46
Lists: pgsql-general

I am running v6.3.2 under Linux and have found that the "copy" command
works only for small amounts of data. When trying to "copy" several
thousand records I notice that system RAM and swap space continue to get
eaten until there is no further memory available. "psql" then fails.
What remains is a .../pgdata/base/XYZ file system with the table being
copied into. That table may be several (tens, hundreds) of Meg in size,
but a "psql -d XYS -c 'select count(*) table'" will only return a zero
count.

Now...I have broken the "copy" process down into smaller chunks and make
multiple calls to "copy". I have a total of about 5.4 million records and
the job isn't done yet...my Pentium 433 has been working on this copy for
over 24 hours.

I don't know if there are any changes that can be made to speed this type
of process up, but this is definitely a black-mark.

mike

Dr Michael A. Koerber
MIT/Lincoln Laboratory
781-981-3250