Re: [HACKERS] Concurrency control questions 6.3.2 vs. 6.4

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: frampton(at)mail(dot)flarc(dot)edu(dot)on(dot)ca (Steve Frampton)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Concurrency control questions 6.3.2 vs. 6.4
Date: 1998-11-16 03:13:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hello:
>
> I noticed the locking code in the backend/storage/lmgr directory has had a
> lot of modifications between 6.3.2 vs. 6.4. I know that Vadim is working
> on changing the table-level locking scheme of 6.3.2 towards a
> multi-version concurrency control scheme. I'm wondering how much along
> these modifications are -- it looks like there were changes made to the
> existing locking scheme but no additional features were added. This is
> based on a very cursory look at the locking code in 6.4 (the locking code
> is a lot more complicated than I had initially thought it was going to
> be).

That may have been me. I renamed a lot of the structures at one point,
because they were so misnamed as to add to the confusion. No real code
changed in that pass, though we have made incremental improvements to
the code in this release.

I don't think Vadim has started making changes for LLL there yet, but he
can tell us.