Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...

From: "Billy G(dot) Allie" <Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...
Date: 1998-10-29 05:42:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> > So, who took the root check out, and when, and why?
>
> Well, I didn't do it, but I agree with whoever took it out. You cannot
> test at *configure* time to see whether the invoker of configure is
> root. It is not reasonable to expect people to do the configure and
> build as root, even if they su to root for the install step (which
> is surely the WRONG thing for a Postgres install anyway!)

I don't know. I install as root (so that the perl stuff will install). Of
course I have the following lines in Makefile.custom:

INSTLOPTS += -o bin -g bin
INSTL_EXE_OPTS += -o pgsql -g dbadmin
INSTL_LIB_OPTS += -o bin -g bin
INSTL_SHLIB_OPTS += -o bin -g bin

so that the permissions are set the way I want them and the postgres
executables are owned by the postgres user.
--
____ | Billy G. Allie | Domain....: Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org
| /| | 7436 Hartwell | Compuserve: 76337,2061
|-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126| MSN.......: B_G_Allie(at)email(dot)msn(dot)com
|/ |LLIE | (313) 582-1540 |