Open 6.4 items

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL-development)
Subject: Open 6.4 items
Date: 1998-10-28 16:16:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here are the open items. Thanks to Jan, the only 'hot' item left is the
ps args issue. People on non-BSD platforms will see all their backends
called 'postmaster', because argv[0] changes do not reflect in ps arg
displays.

I have asked that at least we get set_proctitle() working for Linux, but
no one wants to do it, and we can't remove the it because we would have
to add the exec() back into backend creation, which is impossible at
this point.

At this point, I am not even sure if Marc will allow a fix so late in
the game. Perhaps we can put it into a minor 6.4 release.

As long as you don't think we are going to get tons of complaints, I am
not worried about it.

Everything else is minor, so we are ready for 6.4 on November 1.

Additions
---------
regression test all platforms

Serious Items
------------
change pg args for platforms that don't support argv changes
(setproctitle()?, sendmail hack?)

Docs
----
generate html/postscript documentation
(User's Guide, Administrator's Guide, Programmer's Guide) (Thomas)
make sure all changes are documented properly
markup and merge JDBC docs from Peter (Thomas, others??)
merge the release notes into doc/src/sgml/release.sgml (Bruce, Thomas)
generate new text-format INSTALL and README from sgml sources (Thomas)
markup of Jan's PL docs

Minor items
cnf-ify still can exhaust memory, make SET KSQO more generic
permissions on indexes: what do they do? should it be prevented?
allow multiple generic operators in expressions without the use of parentheses
document/trigger/rule so changes to pg_shadow create pg_pwd
large objects orphanage
improve group handling
improve PRIMARY KEY handling
generate postmaster pid file and remove flock/fcntl lock code
add ability to specifiy location of lock/socket files