palloc failure: memory exhausted, but ulimit 'unlimited'

From: Michael Olivier <molivier(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: palloc failure: memory exhausted, but ulimit 'unlimited'
Date: 1998-10-26 05:13:18
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I'm running postgresql-6.3.2-10 under RH Linux 5.1, and have a small
database (6 tables with hundreds of records each) on which I'm getting
the error

FATAL 1: palloc failure: memory exhausted

...on a complex select statement. I read in the FAQ that I need to up
ulimit, but as user 'michael', 'postgres', or 'root', when I type
'ulimit' at the bash prompt, it says 'unlimited'. I'm running on a
350MHz PC with 96 MB RAM and a 100 MB swap space. Other apps running
are Apache, netscape client, and emacs.

Any suggestions for me? I've also searched email archives and dejanews
but haven't found my answer.

My select query has a number of conditions in the 'where' clause, and
I'm wondering if I need to break them out into separate selects into
temporary tables. I tried breaking them into several temporary views
but got the same result.

thanks for your help!