Re: [HACKERS] What about LIMIT in SELECT ?

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: terry(at)terrym(dot)com
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What about LIMIT in SELECT ?
Date: 1998-10-13 21:05:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hi, my 2 cents...
>
> I agree completely, LIMIT would be VERY usefull in web based apps, which
> is all I run. It does not matter to me if it is not part of a formal
> standard. The idea is so common that it is a defacto standard.
>
> I would not expect it for this release, but could it get put on the TODO
> list for next time? I am even willing to work at an apprentise level on
> this with a more expeireanced person that knows this stuff.

I assume everyone has read the FAQ item:

How do I <I>select</I> only the first few rows of a query?

See the fetch manual page.<P>

This only prevents all row results from being transfered to the client.
The entire query must be evaluated, even if you only want just the first
few rows. Consider a query that has an order by. There is no way
to return any rows until the entire query is evaluated and sorted.