Re: [HACKERS] NT port of PGSQL - success

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: horak(at)mmp(dot)plzen-city(dot)cz (Horak Daniel)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org, JKraaijeveld(at)askesis(dot)nl
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] NT port of PGSQL - success
Date: 1998-10-08 00:23:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hi,
>
> I have successeed in porting PostgreSQL to Win NT. The patch that is
> included is for development version from Sep 15, but I think that the
> changes are version independent. The main difference from other port is
> the renamed system table pg_version (vs. PG_VERSION) to pg_ver - Windows

I thought Windows allowed any case, so you could open a file with
"PG_VERSION" or "pg_version" and it will open any file of any matching
case.

> file names are case insensitive :-) So this should be solved on a global
> level perhaps in main sources. And also the communication through
> AF_UNIX sockets is disabled. There are only two other changes:
> - added some flag while opening directory with open() syscall
> - changed flags for file descriptor in function pq_init()
> and that's all :-)
>
> the steps ;-) are:
> do the steps that Joost wrote some time ago
> patch <pgsql.diff (maybe by hand for newer versions of PostgreSQL)
> make
> make install
> initdb
> postmaster -i
>
> I was able to run postmaster and two concurrent psql connections
> yesterday. I will run the test later.

This is amazing. You can actually run SQL statements on NT.

What would you like done with this patch? Should it merged into the
tree, or just used for people testing things on NT, and later merged in
as you feel more comfortable? You can make a 6.4 final patch, perhaps.