Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] Odbc parser error

From: "Billy G(dot) Allie" <Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org>
To: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] Odbc parser error
Date: 1998-09-17 23:37:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com> wrote:

> Sferacarta Software wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Seems that ODBC driver have some problems while it translate Access
> > commands.
> > I created a form with a subform joined by two columns.
[...]
> > NB: Note that parser translate ("progressivo" = NULL) instead of
> > ("progressivo" IS NULL).
> >

> Yes, the NULL works for parameters of an update statement, where Access would
> specify a statement such as "update table set param = ? where x = 1". But
> it doesn't work in a select statement. I don't think I have much to work
> with here. The statement comes in as something like "select * from table
> where x = ?". I have to replace the ? with something. On updates, 'NULL'
> works fine.
>
> I'm not sure what to do about this. On other dbms, parameter passing is
> handled through a separate protocol to the backend, usually after a prepare
> statement, so on these its no problem to send a null, or large amounts of
> ascii/binary data, without having to worry about direct substitution into
> the sql string or hitting the upper limit of the statement string. I think
> until Postgres has such as protocol for parameter substitution/passing, it
> will be difficult to fix this problem.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Byron

How about subsitution any occurance of /=[ \t]*?/ with "IS NULL". This should
work for both select and update statements.
--
____ | Billy G. Allie | Domain....: Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org
| /| | 7436 Hartwell | Compuserve: 76337,2061
|-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126| MSN.......: B_G_Allie(at)email(dot)msn(dot)com
|/ |LLIE | (313) 582-1540 |