Re: [SQL] Concatenation in selects

From: Leslie Mikesell <les(at)Mcs(dot)Net>
To: joden(at)lee(dot)k12(dot)nc(dot)us (James Olin Oden)
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Concatenation in selects
Date: 1998-09-03 19:33:12
Lists: pgsql-sql

According to James Olin Oden:

> > I know it can be done, but I cannot seem to figure out how to output to
> > fields concatenated together in a select. For instance, I have a table
> > with first_name and last_name as fields (among others). I would like
> > display first_name and last_name as one field. I want to do something
> > like:
> >
> > name=first_name + " " + last_name
> >
> > but of course within an SQL select statement. Thanks...james
>
> Sorry, I finally found it in the hackers mailing list. The answer is:
>
> select textcat(textcat(first_name, ' '),last_name) from users;
>
> I just couldn't seem to find that documented, I am sure it is though.
> Thanks...james

You should also be able to use the SQL concatenation operator '||'. It
doesn't seem to be able to understand more than 2 things at once so
you have to use parens for grouping. I don't know if that is an SQL
requirement or a postgresql limitation.

select (first_name || ' ') || last_name as full_name from users;

Les Mikesell
les(at)mcs(dot)com