Re: strange path through code (initdb problem)

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: emkxp01(at)mtcc(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: strange path through code (initdb problem)
Date: 1998-08-28 23:25:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
>
> > Are you compiling with optimization. Thay may do it.
>
> Yes, and it does :-(
>
> Compiled with -O0 everything works fine (well almost).
> With -O2, the default, I get the SIGSEGV as before.
>
> I seem to remember I had this optimisation problem some while
> ago and someone, Thomas?, fixed it by rewriting some code.
>
> So, for now I'm reasonably happy and can get on with some
> testing.

If you can find out which file is the problem, we can probably fix it
without access to the machine.

You can compile everything with -O2, then change your optimization in
Makefile.custom to -O0. Go to psql/src/backend and 'cd' to a directory,
do a 'make clean', then a make,make install and test initdb. As soon as
it starts working, you have your directory. Or you could compile
everything with -O0 and start doing -O2 compiles until it breaks.

When you find the directory, find the file by recompiling one at a time.
Once you find the file, I think I can figure out what is wrong with the
file. I can go through the diff since 6.3.2, and see what has changed.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026