Remote access ODBC/MS-Access

From: "Roeland M(dot)J(dot) Meyer" <rmeyer(at)mhsc(dot)com>
To: "LIST - PGSQL Interface" <pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Remote access ODBC/MS-Access
Date: 1998-08-21 06:58:39
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

This is probably a newbie question, or one that's already been seen before.
However, I'm new to PostgreSQL. I've been researching the dox since
Wednesday, to no avail. I have already called MS and they were as helpful
as they could be. Decent help on MS-Access and they have me on ODBC Manager
v3.5. I am reasonably confident that the System DSN is correctly done.

Client-side:
WinNT40SP3
Version of MS-Access is from MS-Office97 SR1
ODBC Manager v3.5.

Server-side:
I have the following installed on a heavily modified Caldera OpenLinux
(standard) box. Kernel is at v2.0.33.

Postgres version is "postgresql-6.3.2"
PostODBC version is "PsqlODBC-6.30.0249.exe"

LAN is 100baseTX (switched) on /28

PROBLEM:

I can not seem to access the data server. I did a parallel install, on a
similar server on the same sub-net. I set PGHOST and PGPORT as advertised
and I get the following error;

>postgres(at)condor:/rdbms$> psql customerdb
>Connection to database 'customerdb' failed.
>connectDB() failed: Is the postmaster running at 'raven.mhsc.com' on port
'5432'?

Note: customerdb exists with only one table, the "bar" from the Admin Manual.

I get similar dialog boxen from the NT machines.

My "pg_hba.conf" looks like this (unitl I get this working):

>host all 199.108.175.0 255.255.255.0 trust
>local all trust
>host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust

Please respond via regular e-mail, as well as to the list.

PS. This is definitely NOT Oracle <grin>

Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
Colorado Springs, CO - Livermore, CA - Morgan Hill,
CA
Domain Administrator
MHSC2-DOM and MHSC3-DOM
Administrative and Technical contact
InterNIC Id: MHSC hostmaster (HM239-ORG)
e-mail: <mailto:hostmaster(at)mhsc(dot)com>mailto:hostmaster(at)mhsc(dot)com
web -pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/>http://www.mhsc.com/