ODBC, Delphi and BLOBs (images)

From: "Andrzej Szydlo" <andrzej(at)gv(dot)edu(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: ODBC, Delphi and BLOBs (images)
Date: 1998-08-18 13:39:21
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

I'm trying to access PostgreSQL database from Delphi via ODBC.
Everything works fast and reliably. The only problem are BLOBs,
images in this case.

I created the "lo" type according to the FAQ:

create type lo (
internallength=4, externallength=10,
input=int4in, output=int4out,
default='', passedbyvalue
);

and then created a table and an index:

CREATE TABLE test_tab(nr int4, img lo);
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX test_inx ON test_tab (nr);

I attached a DBImage control to the "img" field and DBEdit to "nr"

When I insert "images" to the table manually (copy a *.bmp image file
to an appropiate file and insert an appropriate number to the table)
Delphi displays it without any problem.

When I try to insert any image from Dephi, the value "0" is inserted
instead of an object number, which causes

"Unrecognized return value from copy_and_convert_field."

on a select attempt.

What can causes "0" to be inserted instead of any value, say 16648?
Have anyone ever had similar problem? How can it be solved?

It seems that the problem is caused by the Delphi-ODBC interaction.
With Access everything works well.

If the information I gave here is not precise enough or unclear,
please ask me any for extra details. I'd appreciate any suggestions
pointing me to the right direction.

Here are software versions and logs:

Delphi: 2.0
BDE: 4.51
Postgres - ODBC: 6.30.0248
Postgres: 6.3.2
ODBC Admin: 3.0.23.1

In case of UPDATE the psqlodbc.log looks like this:

conn=44173436, query='SELECT "img" FROM "test_tab" WHERE "nr"=255'
[ fetched 1 rows ]
conn=44173436, query='BEGIN'
conn=44173436, query='UPDATE "test_tab" SET "img"=0 WHERE "nr"=255'
^^^^^^
why 0?
conn=44173436, query='COMMIT'
conn=44173436, query='SELECT "img" FROM "test_tab" WHERE "nr"=255'
[ fetched 1 rows ]
STATEMENT ERROR: func=SQLFetch, desc='', errnum=8, errmsg='Unrecognized return
value from copy_and_convert_field.'

Andrzej