Re: [HACKERS] cidr

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: darcy(at)druid(dot)net (D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain)
Cc: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org, vixie(at)vix(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] cidr
Date: 1998-07-21 04:53:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Yes, I agree, this is a HOT type, and should be installed in the default
> > system. Contrib is for testing/narrow audience, and this type certainly
> > should be mainstream. This is the third generation of the type, with a
> > wide audience. int8 is also coming into the main tree via Thomas.
>
> I missed some of the earlier discussion. Is there going to be a separate
> IP type or is that just x.x.x.x/32? I like the idea of a host type as
> well. I would love to sort my IPs and have 198.96.119.99 precede
> 198.96.119.100.

My guess is that it is going to output x.x.x.x/32, but we should supply
a function so they can get just the IP or the mask from the type. That
way, people who don't want the cidr format can pull out the part they
want.

If they don't specify a netmask when they load the value, perhaps we use
the standard class A,B,C netmasks. How you specify a HOST address using
the non-cidr format, I really don't know. I am sure the experts will
hash it out before 6.4 beta on September 1.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026