crypt password authentication does not work in cross platform env

From: t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: crypt password authentication does not work in cross platform env
Date: 1998-06-24 02:03:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm living in outside US and am running the export version of FreeBSD
coming without DES. Problem is that if I enable the crypt password
authentication, the FE on any platform other than FreeBSD will not
talk to the BE on the FreeBSD box (Of course FreeBSD can talk to
FreeBSD). The export version of FreeBSD's crypt() is implemented using
MD5, and it does not compatible with the traditional crypt(). This is
the source of the problem, I guess. I have looked into backend/libpq
and interfaces/libpq, but I couldn't find any portable solution for
that so far.

As far as I know, there are at least 2 workarounds:

1. install "des" package
(ftp://ftp.internat.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE/des/)

2. link the BE with libcrypt.a coming with SSLeay
(see http://www.psy.uq.oz.au/~ftp/Crypto/ for more info about SSLeay)

Should we document these in somewhere?
--
Tatsuo Ishii