Re: Odd behavior in regression test?

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu (Thomas G(dot) Lockhart)
Cc: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Odd behavior in regression test?
Date: 1998-06-13 05:22:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hi. I was able to receive mail yesterday (and mostly got caught up), but
> am off the air again, probably at least through the weekend. So if this
> has already been brought up, sorry...
>
> I've been working on more patches for automatic type conversion, and
> they fall on top of some of the recent "junkfilter" patches. So I've
> been waiting for that to settle down before finalizing my patches,
> particularly since I've been off the air for e-mail for the last week :(
>
> Anyway, the current behavior from the source tree is that the new
> "junkfilter" regression test fails (as does the "random" test, but I
> haven't looked into that yet). However, not only does the regression
> test fail by crashing the backend, it seems to take the postmaster with
> it. This seems to happen repeatably on my i686/linux system with the
> current source tree as well as with the same tree with my patches. The
> fact that the junkfilter test crashes doesn't bother me much (since I'm
> already working around there I can probably track it down) but the
> postmaster getting taken out is more worrisome.

Random is now seeded automatically, so you will need to seed it with a
fixed value before using it.

> Is it possible that the recent change from fork/exec to just fork leaves
> the postmaster more exposed? I can imagine that it might, but don't have
> any direct experience with it so am just guessing. Any other ideas? Do
> people see this on other platforms? This is the first time I can recall
> seeing the postmaster go away on a crash of a backend (but of course my
> memory isn't what it should be :)

My guess is that the postmaster can no longer restart its backends after
one of them aborts. Something I need to check into perhaps.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026