Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections

From: Massimo Dal Zotto <dz(at)cs(dot)unitn(dot)it>
To: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL Hackers)
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections
Date: 1998-06-08 15:26:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, David Gould wrote:
>
> > Oh, ok. Some suggestions have been made the the postmaster would open a
> > connection to it's own backend to do queries. I was responding to this.
> > I agree that we should just store the information in shared memory.
>
> How does one get a history for long term monitoring and statistics
> by storing in shared memory?
>
> Marc G. Fournier
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org secondary: scrappy(at){freebsd|postgresql}.org

Why not simply append history lines to a normal log file ? In this way you
don't have the overhead for accessing tables and can do real-time processing
of the data with a simple tail -f on the file.
I use this trick to monitor the log file written by 30 backends and it works
fine for me.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

| Massimo Dal Zotto e-mail: dz(at)cs(dot)unitn(dot)it |
| Via Marconi, 141 phone: ++39-461-534251 |
| 38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN) www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/ |
| Italy pgp: finger dz(at)tango(dot)cs(dot)unitn(dot)it |