Re: [HACKERS] AbortTransaction and not in in-progress state

From: "Billy G(dot) Allie" <Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] AbortTransaction and not in in-progress state
Date: 1998-06-02 05:00:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Morning...
>
> the following is starting to get on my nerves :( The table I'm
> trying to update is ~22k records, and I can't seem to get through it...
>
> So, my first question is *what* does this message mean? The
> backend gives an error about too many open files, but there are less then
> 20 process running on this machine...

There are two limits on the number of open files in UNIX systems (ok, three, if your C library imposes it's own limit on the number of FILE *), the system wide limit and the per process limit. The per process limit is usually much smaller than the system wide limit (i.e 60 vs. 400). It is therefor possible that the backend process is running out of file handles, even though there are plenty of file handles available on a system wide bases.

I hope this helps.

Billy G. Allie.