Installing postgres on redhat 5.0

From: Leon Harris <leon(at)dingo(dot)nhlbi(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Installing postgres on redhat 5.0
Date: 1998-05-30 23:55:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi to all. Me again !

I can't get postgress to work on my red hat system.
I have tried a number of ways: using the rpms (versions 6.3.2-4.i386.rpm). These would not allow me to add users, or to create a database, or to run the regression tests. I played with the environmental variables, but to no avail.

At this point creatdb and initdb were complaining about not finding monitor, which was on my path.

I gave up this tack, and decided to compile from the srpm, seeing that I might have problems with finding libraries needed for the default distribution of rpm. I did the rpm --rebuild ***.srpm and got executables. Same problems. No amount of frigging about with env variables would make the bugger go. On the (good) advice recieved from the net, I decided to screw the redhat approach, and just work up the tarball. It compiled without error, and I proceded to install it as per the postgresql administrators guide, without incident.

I have run everything up to the make install on page11. No problems, very few minor warnings, mostly relating to c++ style issues: nothing fatal, what youd expect from a make.

However, after setting all the variables exactly as per the manual, when I try to initdb I get the following error:

initdb: warning: Make install has not been run
initdb: could not find template files
initdb: set POSTGRESTEMP to the proper directory and rerun.

I set POSTGRESTEMP to where my template files are, and it dies of something else. I vary slightly to make POSTGRESTEMP point to the actual file and it varies. I try variations, and it dies.

Additionally, in this current build, when I try to run postmaster, I get the error
[postgres(at)dingo postgres]$ postmaster &
postmaster: can't load library '/libm.so.4'
No such library.

What is the story on this program?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated, beleive me !!

cheers, Leon

Leon Harris
Visiting Fellow
Room 221, Bldg 3
3 Centre Drive, Bethesda, MD
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health.
phone 301 496 6390