Re: Index unused with OR?

From: "Olaf Mittelstaedt" <mstaedt(at)va-sigi(dot)va(dot)fh-ulm(dot)de>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index unused with OR?
Date: 1998-05-14 14:59:04
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> The index is used only if scanning the index is faster than
> scanning the table itself. Trying the index only with a couple of
> records isn't good.

> Try inserting some hundred records inside and VACUUM the database
> after.

Actually, I discovered the problem using a table containg more than
8000 rows, using the latest release 6.3.2.

> When you vacuum the database you are updating the statistics table
> used by the query optimizer. The query optimizer will choose to
> use an index when it found that it worths.

> Not using the index in OR queries was some-time ago a bug in
> PostgreSQL 6.1 if my memory is good. Think that has been solved in
> new releases, am I wrong ?

This is the real database:

w=> select count(*) from p;
count
-----
8331
(1 row)

w=> vacuum;
VACUUM
w=> explain select * from p where m = 29000;
NOTICE: QUERY PLAN:

Index Scan on p (cost=0.00 size=0 width=10)

EXPLAIN
w=> explain select * from p where (m=29000) or (m=30000);
NOTICE: QUERY PLAN:

Seq Scan on p (cost=0.00 size=0 width=10)

EXPLAIN

Regards,
Olaf

--
Olaf Mittelstaedt - IuK - mittelstaedt(at)fh-ulm(dot)de
Fachhochschule Ulm Prittwitzstr. 10 89075 Ulm

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.