Re: AW: [HACKERS] Begin statement again

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)topsystem(dot)de>
To: andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at (Zeugswetter Andreas)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org (PostgreSQL Hacker)
Subject: Re: AW: [HACKERS] Begin statement again
Date: 1998-03-25 15:57:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zeugswetter Andreas writes:
> I am well accustomed to the deficiencies of Oracle. But in Oracle you don't have read locks,
> and so a read only program does no harm if it only does one commit when it exits
> (except maybe block the RBS if it did one small update).
> Since postgresql does have read locks, such a program will lock all resources as time goes by,
> if it does not do frequent commits. Not to speak of memory, that does not get freed.

You got a point with this.

> Hmmm ? you don't tell the backend when the program exits ?

So far I don't. Does anyone know whether there's a disconnect command
somewhere? In embedded SQL that is. Oracle uses 'commit work release'.

The function I have to call does exist already.

> Try Informix, and you will love the difference and speed in these points.
> The begin work statement is also a fundamental part of postgres. I simply would not hide it.

I do not hide it all. But I'd like to be as compatible to Oracle as
possible. Maybe we could add an autotransaction flag somehow.

Michael

--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Project-Manager | topsystem Systemhaus GmbH
meskes(at)topsystem(dot)de | Europark A2, Adenauerstr. 20