Re: [HACKERS] tables >2GB

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: darrenk(at)insightdist(dot)com (Darren King)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] tables >2GB
Date: 1998-03-20 02:47:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > So, how about we fix the storage manager instead?
>
> I don't recall, what exactly breaks when going over 2 gig? I don't have the
> disk space available, otherwise I'd debug this. I can still try if I knew
> what the problem was...this code isn't all that complex.

I agree.

> OK...here is a patch that will cause the magnetic disk storage manager to
> not try to split files in 2 gig chunks. It will just try to get another
> block.
>
> If applied, everything is just as before. But if LET_OS_MANAGE_FILESIZE
> is defined, the chaining disappears and the file just keeps on going,
> and going, and going, til the OS barfs.
>
> Are there #defines in the system includes that could be used to determine
> a max file size? If so, then I'd think that this would be something
> to add to configure. If files over 2 gig are not allowed, then the old
> code would compile.
>
> Anyway, if the patch looks ok to the powers-that-be or if there is some
> thing else to be changed, let me know and I'll resubmit it to PATCHES.
>
> Compiled and regressed ok with and without LET_OS_MANAGE_FILESIZE, but
> then again there aren't any regression tables over 2 gig. :)

Well, BSD/OS goes over 2gig, but the postgreSQL code uses lseek, which
returns long, so even though I can handle larger files, the lseek()
can't because long is 32-bits. Looks like only Alpha can handle those
files based on our current code.

Thanks to our success, this looks like something we will have to deal
with.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026