Re: [HACKERS] alpha/64bit weirdness

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: brett(at)chicken(dot)org (Brett McCormick)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] alpha/64bit weirdness
Date: 1998-03-05 01:33:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've made a little headway -- it can't find the mkoidname function
> because the attributes that it looks up for the argument types have a
> atttypid of 0 (see the following example):
>
> also, other information that should be in there is not, so it makes me
> suspect something wrong with insertion of attributes? I don't know
> enough to be able to see if this is affecting all attributes or just
> some of them.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers to where to check this problem out?
>
> $4 = {attrelid = 1249, attname = {
> data = "\000\000\000\000attrelid", '\000' <repeats 19 times>},
> atttypid = 0, attdisbursion = 6.89648632e-314, attlen = 0, attnum = 0,
> attnelems = 65540, attcacheoff = 0, atttypmod = -1, attbyval = -1 ',
> attisset = -1 ', attalign = -1 ', attnotnull = -1 ',
> atthasdef = 1 '\001'}

Now that I am looking at this, I see that the attname has four bytes of
NULL's before it. This looks like some kind of alignment error,
perhaps, like the previous entry is writing past its end and into the
this one. Everything after the 'data' element shows garbage because it
is all shifted over. I did add the atttypmod field to the pg_attribute
structure, and it is an int2/short. Wonder is that threw off some
alignment, and only Alpha has a problem with it.

Please try with Assert on:

configure --enable-cassert

Man, if I introduced this problem somehow, I am going to be upset with
myself, and I am sure a few Alpha users will join me.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026