subselects

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL-development)
Subject: subselects
Date: 1998-02-26 18:30:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Now that we have subselects, I would like to mention that without
subselects, SQL is a very limited language.

With commercial Ingres, you could do aggregates with their own WHERE and
BY clauses for restriction and correlation, but SQL doesn't allow this.
Subselects are a major feature, and you should review your code for
places where subselects provide a better solution for your queries. I
think you will find that there are more uses for subselects than you may
think.

Vadim has put us on the big SQL map with subselects, and fully
functional ones too.

I will post something like this with 6.3 is released.

[Let's see, how do I send this to the questions group too? :-) ]

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026