Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] How is PostgreSQL doing?

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: martin(at)biochemistry(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] How is PostgreSQL doing?
Date: 1998-01-27 16:24:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So someone wasted their time writing this patch, 'cos the facility wasn't
> documented properly ?????

Yep, that's what happened.

> I hope this gets documented properly and comprehensibly!!!! I can't same
> I'm any wiser from reading that as to what one needs to do (though I guess
> I might be if I read it in conjunction with the hba instructions).

Phil kindely just added several mentions to the pg_hba.conf file, with
examples of its use.

# ident: Authentication is done by the ident server on the remote
# host, via the ident (RFC 1413) protocol. AUTH_ARGUMENT, if
# specified, is a map name to be found in the pg_ident.conf file.
# That table maps from ident usernames to Postgres usernames. The
# special map name "sameuser" indicates an implied map (not found
# in pg_ident.conf) that maps every ident username to the identical
# Postgres username.
#

> <RANT ON>
> Might I ask again that people send patches in for the documentation WHENEVER
> they add a new feature!
>
> There is no point in adding new and wonderful things if users don't know
> they exist!!!!! When someone ends up duplicating functionality 'cos they
> don't know that a feature exists, that's even worse........
> <RANT OFF>

I usually check before each release to be sure each new feature is
documented, but in this case, there was no mention that the feature
existed.

Never hurts to remind people to send manual page changes too, though
people are usually pretty good about it.

--
Bruce Momjian maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us