Re: Limit allocated memory per session

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Limit allocated memory per session
Date: 2009-10-01 15:47:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane escreveu:
>> daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net> writes:
>>> I'd like to propose adding a new GUC to limit the amount of memory a backend
>>> can allocate for its own use.
>>
>> Use ulimit.
>>
> What about plataforms (Windows) that don't have ulimit?

Get a real operating system ;-)

Seriously, the proposed patch introduces overhead into a place that is
already a known hot spot, in return for not much of anything. It will
*not* bound backend memory use very accurately, because there is no way
to track raw malloc() calls. And I think that 99% of users will not
find it useful.