Re: obsolete reference to a SubPlan field

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: obsolete reference to a SubPlan field
Date: 2022-03-14 17:45:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 3:08 AM Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Attached patch removes those.

> Looks right to me. Tom, any comments?

I'm pretty sure I left those comments alone on purpose back in 2007,
and I don't find simply removing them to be an improvement.

In principle, readers might expect that tree walkers/mutators
would descend to a SubPlan's query, as they do for a SubLink's
query. Calling out the fact that that doesn't happen seems
useful to me. If you don't like this particular wording of those
comments, we can discuss better wordings ... but I doubt that
nothing-at-all is better.