ROWTYPE inserts

From: chrisj <chrisj(dot)wood(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ROWTYPE inserts
Date: 2008-10-09 13:08:59
Lists: pgsql-general

In the 8.3 manual section 38.3.3 it shows a great short cut using ROWTYPEs
for selects:

CREATE FUNCTION merge_fields(t_row table1) RETURNS text AS $$
DECLARE
t2_row table2%ROWTYPE;
BEGIN
SELECT * INTO t2_row FROM table2 WHERE ... ;

It seems to me there should be a corresponding short cut using ROWTYPEs for
inserts, but I can't seem to find it, does one exists??