Re: skipping context for RAISE statements - maybe obsolete?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: skipping context for RAISE statements - maybe obsolete?
Date: 2012-12-11 18:29:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> /* if we are doing RAISE, don't report its location */
> if (estate->err_text == raise_skip_msg)
> return;

> It is some what we want?

My recollection is that that special case was added because people
complained about the "noise" from location lines otherwise: there are
too many applications using RAISE to report user errors, for which a
traceback would just be useless noise. I dug around in the archives a
bit but couldn't find the original discussion. But I did find a fairly
recent complaint that it's still too noisy (rather than not noisy
enough):
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-10/msg00838.php

At the end of that thread we discussed adding a RAISE option to control
the behavior, but nothing's been done about it.